Tuesday, August 6, 2013

William's Post

I was at a friend's house recently dropping of some Scentsy.  (Want to have a party?)

She has the sweetest little family ever, and is the June Cleaver of the twenty-first century, which is made all the more remarkable by the fact that three of her four children have been diagnosed with Autism.  You can read more about her life here at her blog http://acorn-beyondconvention.blogspot.com.  She's amazing.... and thin... but I like her anyway.  Now SHE could have a reality show and be educational and entertaining... plus she said I could guest star once in awhile.  =)

I have had the HONOR of being her oldest two children's teacher, and she is not only a former parent, but a friend.  Her youngest son William was at my school last year.  He's adorable, smart, and feisty.  Not to mention, not all that verbal (yet).   I was really looking forward to having him in my class this year.

So like I said, I was at her house delivering her husband's "purple wax" (let me know if YOU need some wax)  and William was quite happy to see me.  He invited me to play outside, and ride a bike, all while smiling at me, and making GREAT eye contact!  I complimented him on his using words and he told me "use words to play outside".  We high fived.

I had been having one of those low days that comes with job searching and waiting on phone calls (I refuse to go into further detail lest this post get very bleak...) William was my breath of fresh air.  I know he is not likely to read this, (he probably could if he wanted to) and he may not understand all the emotions tied up in his actions, but he gave me hope again.

I just want to thank him.  Here, and now, for inspiring me.

William, as I was getting ready to leave you had toys in your hand, and we were outside.  I was near my car on the sidewalk.  You put your toys on the porch and looked at me, and hesitated.  Your mommy asked if you were going to go with me, and you simply said "no", but you kept looking at me.  In that moment, I knelt down, and asked if you'd like to give me a hug.  You came running towards me and gave me the best sideways hug I have ever had.  Complete with a back pat.  You made my heart skip a beat, and my mind start racing, and a smile appeared that had been missing for a long time.

That simple act of trust forced my hand into doing something that I have wanted to do for awhile, but always found an excuse not to.  I am going to go back to school and get my Masters in Special Education with an Autism Endorsement.  I will have my work cut out for me, and I don't think I will be able to start until January because of my financial aid needing, but I will be back in school because of a hug from you.  Thank you William.  You are A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

God is good.  All the time.

3 comments:

KLB:) said...

This is AMAZING. So proud to know you. So thankful for the Williams in the world that serve as catalysts for good.

KLB:) said...

This is AMAZING. So proud to know you. So thankful for the Williams in the world that serve as catalysts for good.

KLB:) said...

This is AMAZING. So proud to know you. So thankful for the Williams in the world that serve as catalysts for good.